Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Immortality

When I was 9 years of age, I wanted to be a scientist. I wanted to create the elixir of life so that my parents would live on forever.

I never became a scientist. That's because I learned that no matter how hard I tried, it was beyond my powers to go against the science of nature. Human beings are not immortal. And there's nothing I or anybody else could do about it! God knows the anguish and disillusionment I suffered, face to face with the hard truths of life.

Since then, I had never really felt such intensed emotions on the subject of human mortality, that is, not until tonight. Tonight, once again, how I wished I had the power to prevent deaths. My parents are in their 60's. My mentor is almost 90 years old. I shudder to think that one day, I may wake up to discover that I am robbed of them forever......... And that, presently, remains my greatest fear.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have the very same fear, of my grandma, parents, uncles n aunts going to a place i can't reach them. it broke my heart when my grandpa went away 2 years back... then i found a book recently, "Tuesdays With Morrie" by Mitch Albom. a really great book, anyone with the same fear should haf a look at it.

1/09/2006 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home