Friday, May 25, 2007

My Music Pal

I have this friend who gives me special treats once in a while. I am always so uplifted when he sends this or that song to my Gmail account which was specially created just for that very purpose.

The very first song he sent me was Stevie Wonder’s “Lately”. I was so very thrilled to hear that lovely song for the very first time. (The intro is out of this world!) And my friend was right. Because of this extraordinary ballad, Stevie Wonder is forgiven for his “I just called to say I love you” (my hubby’s favourite song – private joke!) He also sent me other stuffs as varied as an instrumental version of “Me and Mrs Jones” and Brook Benton’s Rainy Night In Georgia”.

On another occasion, he surprised me with Rod Stewart’s “Hot Legs”, Francis Yip’s “Bengawan Solo”, Sarah Vaughan’s “And I Love Her So” and “Something” and “Venus” (which he says is ‘syrupy’ which I agree completely, whatever that means ;)).

And the latest gems he sent were the “Moonraker” theme, the “Munster" theme, “Jeannie” and Marvin Gaye’s “What’s Going On” and “Mercy Mercy Me”.

His gifts even extended to my dad. He sent “for my papa”, a mandarin song which recalled memories of those 70’s movies starring heartthrob Chin Hang and one of my very first movie idol, Ling Fong Chiao, and lately a very old song called “Walk Away” which I shall play for my dad when he next comes for a visit in KL.

They say music brings the world closer. For me, music brings intimacy to a friendship. I will always remember my friend KB for those Jazz Circle evenings, the chatting till late to candlelight and music playing in the background at Marina Bay planning and dreaming about the craziest wedding which was realised a few years later! ;) (those were one of the most carefree time we future bride, groom, bridesmaid and best man had); and the first time he invited us to his apartment where he displayed all his 100 or so Sarah Vaughan’s CD collection on a little makeshift table, arranged neatly in rows like those stalls selling pirated VCDs at Pulau Tikus. That was also the first time I heard and fell in love with Sarah Vaughan’s “Corcovado”! (The amazing Vibrato – how did she do that?!)

It takes a lot of effort to sit at one’s pc and to upload those songs and to do and take all the little things and steps involved in sending songs to another being in cyberspace. So, for my very special friend who thinks of me sometimes, here’s a very big thank you, arigato, merci, xie-xie, gracia, terima kasih! And you are right, Marvin Gaye has one of the smoothest soul voice in the whole wide world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home