Monday, October 17, 2005

The Lemonade Kid

Brought Zerlynde to her first ever concert yesterday afternoon, presented by a kindergarten called The Learning Garden held at Dewan Tuanku Syed Putra in USM. The first play was a Chinese one entitled "The King's Donkey Ears". It begun spectacularly with an opening dance by a stageful of little girls and boys all dressed in the most colourful of costumes, displaying their talents. Though the dialogue was a bit slow, I must say I was thoroughly impressed with the overall production. The lightning, the costumes, the soundtrack, the props and the choreography were brilliant, not to mention the wonderful little actors and actresses and dancers. Zerlynde was similarly impressed. She was totally absorbed, it being her first time in a concert. I caught her watching the stage in wonderment without a blink. She looked enchanted.

Next was the nursery and playgroup presentation "The Happy Children Band" followed by a Bahasa Melayu play called "Bawang Merah Bawang Putih", a cinderella like story. I love the Malay dance and thought the teachers did a really great job with the props and costumes. Alicia, a good friend's daughter was the lead actress Bawang Merah. I was amazed at how well she acted.

The highlight of the concert "The Lemonade Kid" did not start until past 4-30pm. We were there since 3pm and I was worried that Zerlynde might soon start to fuss. To my pleasant surprise, her interest didn't waver one bit and she seemed to thoroughly enjoy watching the little cowboys and can-can girls and what-nots on stage, shrieking in delight and bouncing excitedly on my lap every once in a while. I myself was impressed at the characterisation of One-Eye Jack. Hard to believe the actor's 5, maybe 6 years old!

The concert ended at about 5.30pm. Zerlynde was still wide awake by then. Although I had doubts initially whether to bring her seeing as she might be a bit too young, was I glad I brought her. She was such a good girl, never once did she kick a fuss. And that concert had definitely opened her door to a larger world.

After this first trial, we now know we can bring her to more concerts, without fear of her disturbing the other audience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home