Sunday, December 25, 2005

Merry X'mas

X’mas means many different things to different people. Like most people, to me, X’mas signifies the season of giving and appreciation. And like some people, X’mas also means a fascinating journey back to my childhood where the most ordinary of things bring with it the simplest of joys.

Brought up on a feast of British and American books, I have from young associated X’mas with snow, Santa Claus, reindeer and X’mas trees. (Yes, yes, I am aware the real significance of X’mas is the birth of Christ!) Thus, I do so love wandering in the shopping malls during this season for the mock sights and smells of Yuletide. I love browsing through the X’mas cards, especially those Hallmark and American Greetings ones that come with embossed designs and angel dusts. I love picking gifts for my loved ones and wrapping them up with silver paper and golden bows.

I love looking at the elaborate decorations put up by the malls and the individual outlets; the X’mas trees with its trinkets of multi-coloured baubles, intriquing snow-flakes topped with fancy angels at the pinnacle. And I love hearing X’mas songs in the background, especially songs like “Have yourself a Merry Little X’mas” or “The Christmas Song”.

And of course, I love the X’mas parties; the turkey and cranberry sauce and the wine served in chinaware and crystal, the opportunity to dress up in beads and glitter.

And during this season also, I momentarily halt what I am doing to take some time out to look at the clouds and smell the flowers, and more importantly to feel grateful for the many blessings in my life; loved ones to love, good friends who go the extra mile, and the privilege to live the kind of life I want and be the kind of person whom I am proud to be.

Here’s to a Merry X’mas and a Happy New Year.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas

Have yourself a merry little Christmas
Let your heart be light
From now on, our troubles will be out of sight

Have yourself a merry little Christmas
Make the Yuletide gay
From now on our troubles will be miles away
Here we are as olden days
Happy golden days are yours
Faithful friends who are dear to us
Gather near to us once more

Through the years we'll all be together
If the fates allow
Hang a shining star above the highest bow

And have yourself a merry little Christmas now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Glass Slippers said...

Hey, isnt that my rose?

1/05/2006 1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home