Monday, June 26, 2006

Books, Again...

Hubby bought me some books from MPH KL. Unfortunately, I've already got one of them; Nobel Winner Gao Xingjian's Soul Mountain which I read halfway a few months ago. The other two are non-fiction Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point and Robin Sharma's The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari. Hmmm.. not the sort of books I would normally buy for myself but will definitely give them a chance one of these days.... which goes to remind me of 2 other books which were bought not by myself personally but by Kitty a few months ago for me from the MPH warehouse sale. I was initially a little sceptical as to whether I'd like them but both turned out to be pleasant surprises. Jane Adams's Angel Gateway was a haunting tale of 2 separate lives, separated by centuries but bonded by events. I actually enjoyed reading the book so much that I finished it within a day. Tiffanie DeBartolo's The Shape Of My Heart, on the other hand, was a romantic and poignant tale about a woman who found her soul-mate, only to lose him at the end to a tragic fatal drowning incident. The book was consumed within 2 days.

And I must confess, I spoiled myself last week by buying 6 new books. Am currently reading Stephen Clarke's Merde Actually (sequel to A Year In The Merde) which is truly hilarious. He writes stuffs like " .... The train regional, a tiny TGV was so new that people would get on and say "Oh, pardon" because they thought they were in first class...."

The other 5 are Amy Tan's Saving Fish from Drowning, Umberto Eco's The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana, Alexander McCall Smith's Friends, Lovers, Chocolate, Elfriede Jelinek's The Piano Teacher and Julian Barnes's The Lemon Table.

Books I am currently also reading include Oscar Hijuelo's The Mambo Kings Play Songs of Love and Katherine Mansfield's The Garden Party and Other Stories.

Books read include Arthur Miller's Death Of a Salesman, gift from a friend.

Sigh... so many books to read, so little time.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home