Monday, September 18, 2006

Of Remembering Names

Mum always reminisces about my being my paternal grandfather’s favourite grandchild. At 3 years old, I used to sit on his laps and told him what everyone’s names was, starting from his name right down to my granny’s, my parents’, my uncles’ and aunts’, and all my cousins’. In those days, it was a taboo to mention our elder’s names, so none of the kids were taught to do that. That made my antics a novelty, which so very amused my grandpa at that time.

History repeats. Mum is teaching Zerlynde exactly the same stuffs now. When asked “What is papa’s name?”, Zerlynde promptly replies “Kenzu”. She also knows mummy’s, grandpapa’s and grandma’s names and it’s so funny to hear her pronounce them in mandarin. Hearing her utters our names has never failed to bring us laughter. That’s one of the simple joys of parenthood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home