Friday, November 10, 2006

Zerlynde Can Read!


Zerlynde is always throwing surprises our way. Two evenings ago, I wrote "Apple" on one of those Doodle pads lying around, and lo and behold, she uttered "apple". So, I wrote "Ball", she said "ball. Then, I wrote "Cat" followed by "Dog", "Elephant", "Fish", "Goose", "Hat", "Ice-cream", "Jump", "Kite", "Moon", "Orange", "Sun", "Strawberry", "Xylophone", "Yo-yo", "Zebra", "Elmo", "Maisy", "Papa", "Mama", "Baby", and so on, all of which she correctly read out.

I tested her further the following day. These are some of the other words she recognises - Airplane, Bear, Circle, Square, Boat, White, Black, Green, Blue, Red, Yellow, Pink, Brown, Owl, Cow, Horse, Egg, Nose, Flower, Nest, Pie, Pig, Umbrella, Sheep and Book. Oh! And also Giraffe and Kangaroo......

The thing is I have never directly taught her how to read these words. She must have picked them up from those educational programmes she watches and from the flash cards and books we so often go through.

I'm once again reminded never to underestimate children. They are indeed miracles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home