Friday, March 02, 2007

Before Sunset

The film's got great cinematography, sure to appeal to the arty-farty sort. But it sure also made me very dizzy and nauseous (due to its use of the technique Stedicam I now learnt) when I watched it 6 months ago. It struck me also that 90% of the time, the 2 main characters, Jesse and Celine (Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy) are walking and talking to one another. I didn't fall in love with the film. But I knew instinctly that there's something about the film which made it different from the rest. So I checked it up on the net.

I found out that Before Sunset is the sequel to another film called Before Sunrise, made 9 years earlier. The storyline takes place exactly 9 years after Before Sunrise, showing an older Ethan Hawke and Julie Delphy encountering one another again after 9 long years of being apart. Further, the film takes place in real time, meaning, the time elapsed in the movie is also the run time of the film. Now, is this an original idea or is this an original idea!
I wished I've got a copy of Before Sunrise. I also wished I've watched Before Sunrise first, when it was released in 1995. It would have made me feel even more for these 2 very extraordinary films.
There is hint of a sequel toward the end of the film. I am looking very much forward to that. Let's just hope it won't be released 9 years later! But that may very well be the case looking at past records.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home