Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Perhaps Love 2005

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I’ve been wanting to watch "Perhaps Love" ever since I realised it is directed by Peter Chan, the same guy who directed "Comrades, Almost a Love Story". So, earlier this evening, I set aside 107 minutes of uninterrupted time (well, almost…) to watch this widely advertised "first Chinese musical in 30 years". (I must add Peter Chan himself mentioned that "Perhaps Love" is not a musical, which I am inclined to agree after watching the same.)

So, what’s my verdict? Spectacular! "Perhaps Love", I must say, is one of the best Chinese movie I have seen for a long time. It is certainly an ambitious project, very complex and filled with scenes after scenes of beautifully composed imagery (not surprising considering the cinematographer is none other than Christopher Doyle), so much so that I personally thought it was bordering on being too contrived. Oh! And the songs are really superb too. I like particularly the one entitled “Who Am I”.

Despite all said, I must stress "Perhaps Love" in my opinion runs far behind "Comrades" in terms of the emotional impact it leaves on its audience. I remember crying buckets and at the same time smiling to myself during various scenes of "Comrades". "Perhaps Love" neither brought forth a smile nor a tear. Such is the difference between a classic film and a good film.

For more “Perhaps Love” synopsis and information, click here and here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home