Monday, June 26, 2006

Walter Niemann (1876 - 1953)

One sometimes comes across a discovery which really moves one to the core. It happened to me recently when I was invited to a concert organised by the German Embassy held at E&O Hotel. The concert principally was to honour the late German poet Hermann Hesse, with Cord Barben on Piano and Silja Schindler, Soprano, playing and singing piano music and songs based on the late poet's lyrics.

I was struck dumb when Cord Barben recited a poem to the accompaniment of a few pieces of music composed by one Walter Niemann, who was in my opinion Rachmaninoff, Listz, Chopin and Debussy all combined into one.

Oh! What lovely pieces he composed. I must look for his Juninacht; Praludium, Arietta and In moto perpetuo.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home