Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Countdown

Just got back from KL. What a hectic week, what with the Christmas celebration and the new year countdown on top of all the shopping! And Zerlynde unfortunately had a fever too, with me following suit with a sore throat and stuffed nose.

Christmas eve-
was spent at home with loved ones and friends. See my earlier posting.

Christmas evening-
was spent in 2 police stations and the KL general hospital over the incident of an insane maid, but that’s another story for another day. Good thing we met up with some friends at Finnigans after our 6 hour ordeal to unwind. Good place to go to as they played music of the 80’s, suitable for “middle-aged” (I hate to admit) people like us. A few of us spent the time frivolously talking about music we used to listen to like Modern Talking, Rick Ashley, Air Supply, Billy Ocean, etc. etc. Remember songs like Part-time Lover, Tarzan Boy, Carribean Queen? And after one drink too many, we got one friend to confessing how he is attracted to women with big eyes (and what big eyes his wife has too!). Another friend shared how she has a soft spot for thin men (no bonus points for guessing correctly her husband is all flesh and bones!) As for me, I’ll admit to being partial towards men with dimples, stubbles and/or nice wrists. So much for frivolity!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Zerlynde turned 16 months on X'mas Day

Boxing Day, Monday
We went to Mid-Valley to meet some friends. Bumped into an ex-Uni mate and his family, so we had lunch together at Kim Gary. Apparently, there’s a craze for Hong Kong style restaurants of late. I found the food to be only so-so. Thus, was very surprised to see the crowd queueing to get in! The Christmas décor at Mid-Valley was very spectacular. I wished I had the creativity to come up with something like that. We also had the good fortune to watch a cabaret show at the centre court. And Zerlynde was intriqued when “snow flakes” slowly floated down to greet us.

27th Dec, Tuesday
Had lunch at this coffee shop along Jalan Ipoh which serves the most delicious mee t’iau. I suspect the cook to be teow chew. Then we drove to KLCC to see the Christmas setting. Not as impressive as the Mid-Valley one, I must say. Stopped by Marks & Spencer to get our supply of custard cream, had dessert in Little Penang, then dropped by Kinokuniya to get some books for a friend’s new-born.

28th Dec, Wednesday
There’s a closing down sale in Metrojaya SS14, so we headed there to see what bargain we could bag. I was too lazy to search amidst the madness, thus didn’t get many things except for a Disney Belle doll for Zerlynde and a few other essentials. Mum was really lucky, she got some pants at a fraction of their usual price. For dinner, we patronised Auntie Nat, a few blocks away from our house. Their Curry Kapitan and Assam Prawns are highly recommended.

29th Dec, Thursday
Brought mom and dad to the Coliseum for lunch. I wanted to show them the dinosaur waiters and the dirty linen, but more importantly, I wanted them to taste their infamous baked crab. At RM16.90 per crab, it’s cut-throat exorbitant, but since it’s not an everyday treat, I can live with it.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Can you spot the dinosaur?

We walked over to Euro Moda after our meals to get some fabric for my mum’s sister whose son is getting married in March. We found a really nice piece for my 7th aunt, a beaded chiffon at RM65 per metre. Am sure she’ll like it. Later in the evening, Kitty and I brought Zerlynde for a walk around Desa Sri Hartamas. We also managed to visit some Korean boutiques despite the fuss Zerlynde was kicking. I tell you, only a committed shopaholic like my sister could carry a baby in one hand and sort through racks of clothes with another. My hats off to her!

30th Dec, Friday
Mum and dad drove to Genting, leaving Zerlynde and I behind. Poor Zerlynde had fever and started throwing up in the evening, so Kitty and I brought her to a nearby clinic to have her attended to. Doctor advised that we gave her Ribena, fruit juice and 100-Plus in substitution of milk, but that’s easier said than done.

New Year’s eve, Sat
Kenzin brought us to PJ Sunrise for the best roast duck in town, then we had durians for dessert. My diet went haywire as if there’re two things I cannot resist, they’re Sunrise roast duck and D24 durians! (eventhough the latter gives me a heartburn) For countdown, we went to Crown Princess for buffet dinner and to listen to a Kenny Rogers impersonator sing. The atmosphere breathes of festivity and jollity, so we all wore our party hats and danced the night away to usher in 2006. My only disappointment was missing one number in the lucky draw, resulting in us missing the trip to Paris!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Can he pass as Kenny Rogers?

Naturally, a good part of the evening was spent sending and receiving new year text greetings, a trend of the millennium. Hubby received a really crude sms, here goes – “May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the ass of the person who fucked-up your 2005, and may his arms grow too short to scratch his ass *Happy 2006*”. He also received an erotic one (or corny depending on how one looks at it) which goes like this “Wishing u a seductive & horny New Year licked by love and penetrated by heavenly graces & may all ur misfortunes be ejaculated b4 the season has climaxed!" Got me wondering what kind of dubious characters my hubby hangs out with! The ones I received were far less “creative”, but no less treasured, my favourite being “An old year ends, a new year begins, a time to reflect, to count our blessings. So here’s wishing you n your family a Bountiful and Happy New year 2006! Cheers!” I know, so conservative, but I AM conservative! Another one worth mentioning for its kitsch is “2day 2 person asked me about u. I gave them your details n contact. They’ll b finding u soon. Their names are HAPPINESS n SUCCESS. Happy New Year 2006” Gives me the creeps, this one but the sender’s forgiven, afterall he thought of me. For an example of what a message by a realist might look like, here goes “Before the Year Ends, before the battery runs dead, before the operators become busy, before the sms are jammed, Wish You All The Best & HAPPY NEW YEAR 2006!" And last but not least, two really beautiful messages composed by deeply sensitive souls that I would like to share here – “A RELAXED mind, a PEACEFUL soul, a JOYFUL spirit, a HEALTHY body & a heart full of LOVE… All of these are my wishes for you this 2006. Happy New Year!” and “May u celebrate & colour each moment of life with an abundance of love & compassion, joy & happiness, peace & harmony, success & good health. Wishing u a fantabulous New Year.

New Year’s Day, Sun
We had lunch at one of our favourite restaurants in Sentul. Then, Kitty whisked me off to One-Utama for a marathon shopping spree. We went to Studio, Warehouse, FCUK, MNG and Zara where I completely lost my mind. Don’t ask how much damage that brief insanity caused me. Let's just say I hope my next month credit card statements get lost in the post! And I will acknowledge it’s definitely not the most prudent way to start a year, especially in view of the current economy climate, but what the heck! It’s the new year and a woman is entitled to some guilt-free extravagance once in a while, or at the very least, once a year. And Oh! The street lighting at One-Utama is incredibly beautiful. It’s Malaysia’s very own Oxford Street!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Part of My Indulgence...

2 Comments:

Blogger Glass Slippers said...

I like the Silverish dress from Warehouse best. You know, the other halter-neck piece you tried on from Warehouse appeared in Female Dec issue. But I like this one better.

1/05/2006 11:33 AM  
Blogger Glass Slippers said...

I dint realise how huge Kenny Rogers was until I saw this pic!

The dinner gala was a wonderful nite to celebrate with loved ones.

Thanks to Kenzin and Kenzu for their kind invitation to include me.

1/05/2006 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home