Thursday, March 30, 2006

Barney

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I personally think that Barney is unsuitable for a baby of Zerlynde’s age. But my nephew Jonathan can’t survive without his daily dosage of that purple dinosaur, so Barney has inevitably been introduced as part of the family “culture” for the past 6 months.

What is it about Barney that appeals to toddlers? I guess it’s the bright colours and the singing and dancing, and of course, the hopping and the bouncing. When Jonathan was first exposed to this purple dinosaur, we noticed an inclination on his part to climb onto tables to jump and dance on top, in imitation of Barney. Tsk, tsk, bad influence, this Barney is, we thought!

But to be fair, it’s not all bad and no good. Zerlynde seems to pick up a lot of stuffs from watching the endless episodes of Barney this and Barney that. She interacts with the programmes, dancing and wriggling and shaking her bum, and rolling her arms to the song of “The Wheels on the Bus” and clapping away to “If You’re Happy and You Know it”. Also, she sometimes walks on tip-toe in imitation of you-know-who.

The best part of Barney for me is towards the end of most episodes when he starts crooning his signature song “I love you, you love me, we are happy family, with a great big hug and a kiss from me to you, won’t you say you love me too…..”. My little angel will always toddle towards me to give me this great big hug with a loving smile on her face whereupon I will reciprocate by giving her this huge kiss.

So, yes, I do approve of Barney, for personal reasons……….

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home