Saturday, September 17, 2005

Sepet - Malaysian Best Film 2005

I watched Sepet about one and a half months ago. Thanks to a friend who gave me the VCD (original!) knowing that I love films with great cinematography. To be honest, I didn't expect much of the film at first. In my mind, it's just going to be one more of those local productions; mediocre, boring, nothing to shout about. I'd rather be watching the Korean series.

Yet, I was also curious about the film. There were some good reviews on it. And if this discerning friend of mine thought it good enough to share with me, then I should at least give it a chance.

Sepet turned out to be a major surprise. It's so superbly done that I consider it to be a breakthrough as far as the Malaysian film industry is concerned.

Of course, there are some stuffs I don't like about the film, the first being the unrealistic picture depicted of the main actor Jason. That chap actually writes poetry. Isn't that kind of hard to believe? (Tell me how many teenagers of today read poetry, let alone write them?) Next, some of the dialogues are too stiff and unreal they sound like they're being read straight off the script. And that bit when Orked's parents ran around in the house in their sarongs, now, isn't that way too kitsch?

The major let down was that scene when Jason and Orked first met and fell in love at first sight. The director I think was trying to achieve that sort of classic love scene effect found in great films like Gone with the wind, Breakfast at Tiffanys and Cinema Paradiso, but I am sorry to say that it didn't quite make the mark, in my opinion, partly because that scene was a tad too long and partly because it was not accompanied by a powerful soundtrack.

Apart from the above, all else was perfect. I like the contradictory personalities of Orked; gentle yet tenacious, conservative yet liberal. My tribute to Sharifah Amani who plays Orked so naturally. I am sure many hearts melted when she calls Jason "Sayang" in that endearing way of hers. And how well she stood up for herself! Remember that scene in the school when she practically swore at a classmate of hers for teasing her? Isn't that great acting?

Other favourite scenes of mine were at the bus-stop when the lovers sheltered themselves from the rain using plastic bags, the way Orked bent her legs upwards whilst slumping in bed and that dating scene by the lakeside. I must watch Sepet again to discover more finer details.

In summary, I think Sepet is a success mainly because it is honest and unpretentious. Thanks to Yasmin Ahmad who made the film from the heart. This is a film we Malaysians can definitely be very proud of!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9/17/2005 1:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9/17/2005 2:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9/17/2005 2:13 AM  
Blogger Glass Slippers said...

Did I tell you I snapped a pic with both Orked and Jason at the screening of Sepet night during the Nokia Starlight Outdoor Cinema Festival? Orked is petite & outspoken while Jason a bit shy. Both are friendly and down to earth.

The songs used in Sepet remind me of Comrade, Almost A Love Story.

9/22/2005 9:39 AM  
Blogger Lin said...

Wow, that's nice... Ya, I can imagine Orked being the outspoken type.

Sepet is the Malaysian Love Story I guess...

9/22/2005 7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home