Thursday, September 15, 2005

Turquoise, Emerald & Olive - what they mean to me

I just received a sms from a friend saying "I made a great discovery today. My favourite colour is green. Various shades of green" and he went on to say that "green is common thread throughout [his] life eg. turquoise emerald rainforest even song evergreen"

Turquoise. Now who can resist turquoise, part blue and part green, a perfect mix of the two. I remember when my sister Kitty and I first discovered turquoise, we were both so enchanted by it that for a brief period of our lives, we incorporated as much turquoise as we could in our little world, telling everybody about the wonder of our favourite colour, taking pride in having been the first to discover that unique hue. We were in primary school at that time and it was a big deal to us then, seeing as other friends of ours were still experimenting with predictable pink and purple.

Although more than 25 years have since passed, I must confess that my fascination with the colour turquoise has not wavered one bit. And when I think of turquoise now, my mind travels back to that one afternoon when Kenzu and I were travelling with a group of friends in a speed boat heading towards Kapalai from Sipadan. The Celebes Sea, I remember, was an endless paradise of turquoise.

Emerald, on the other hand, did not strike a chord with me - not until about a year ago. Since young, green has always been my least favourite colour. And what is emerald but just another shade of green? My mind was altered, like I said earlier, about a year ago. I was at a jewellery shop, just looking, when from the corner of the glass case, a few emerald rings caught my eyes. They were so dazzling and regal that I was quite stunned for a moment. How did I fail to appreciate the true beauty of that colour all this while, I asked myself.

I think I have got the answer. The manificence of emerald can only truly be appreciated by persons possessing a certain level of maturity and sophistication. It doesn't really appeal very much to the young. And that is why we see only mainly older women wearing emeralds and jades. When I see the colour emerald, I see Elizabeth Taylor, I see queens and empresses, and I see my mother. And because of this last reason especially, emerald today holds a very special and significant meaning to me.

My other favourite shade of green is olive, so subtle and understated and down to earth. And that alone is good enough reason for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home